Monday, October 7, 2013

Journal 1


Robbins, J. (2012). Learning web design: A beginner's guide to html, css, javascript, and web graphics. (4th ed., pp. 3-45). Sebastopol, CA: O'Reilly Media, Inc.

As I read through these chapters, I found it to be both comforting and slightly alarming. My oldest memory of technology is probably using an Apple Computer with a floppy disk slot to play Oregon Trail…not exactly historically accurate, but engaging just the same. Technology, however, continued to be a presence in my life as I developed typing skills and realized that the Internet had a plethora of ideas and sources to support my own learning and educational growth. This exposure and constant access to a computer helped me recognize many topics in the reading, such as HTML, JavaScript, and the importance of using adequate software.

Unfortunately, there were also MANY more topics covered that I have never even heard! I thought it was great how the URL was broken down to explain each part; I noticed that I am paying much more attention now as I navigate between web sites. Figure 2-5 (p. 31) was also incredibly helpful. Although I was familiar with terms such as browser, server, HTTP, index.html, etc., it was rather helpful to see them utilized in a visual representation like this. I was also unaware of the Web Accessibility Initiative that provides access to the web to people with a variety of impairments.

I am hoping that through this class, I will increase my depths of knowledge and become more familiar with the implementation and inner workings of these resources.

Q1: How will the emerging HTML5 technology be different from the current system?

A1: HTML5 has been “designed to better handle web applications” but it is not currently widely accepted by common browsers (Robbins, p. 26). The most common version of HTML currently in use is HTML version 4.01.

Q2: How does the Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI) help designers create a world wide web that is accessible to those with physical and even mental limitations?

A2: WAI provides guidelines that help designers create websites for individuals with a vision impairment, mobility impairment, auditory impairment, and/or cognitive impairment to access the information on the web, despite their disability, in a variety of ways including the use of a “screen reader, Braille output, magnifiers, joysticks, foot pedals, and so on” (Robbins, p. 41). 

No comments:

Post a Comment